Self-tanner is a great option for people who don't have time to sunbathe. It has been proven by dermatologists that the self-tanner has no contraindications since it only functions to pigment the skin. Self-tanners are a healthy outlet for those who want to have tanned skin. It can be an alternative both for those who are allergic to the sun and for those who just remember that they need a little color when the summer comes up and the skirts leave the closet.
The effect is provided by the action of dihydroxyacetone (DHA), which reacts with amino acids present in the dead cells of the most superficial layer of the skin, producing a yellowish pigment called melanoidin.
The biggest challenge when tanning without sun is to give the skin a uniform tone. But the good news is that technology has made the effect of these creams more natural, and with practice and some expert advice, the chances of spotting your skin are minimal. The only risk, however, is to believe that the color left by the self-tanner dispenses with the use of sunscreens. Unlike melanin, which has a mild protective effect, melanoidin is not able to block ultraviolet rays. So, under the sun, even tanned, it is essential to apply a protector to prevent burns and keep your skin healthier.
The result of using self-tanning can be just to eliminate that whiteness or even to leave the skin slightly tanned. For a lighter and softer tone, use 2 times a week, for a more toned tone, at first use every day and then every 3 days to keep the tone.
How to use the self-tanner?
Step by Step
- Perform an exfoliation before applying the product for the first time. It removes dead cells and helps ensure skin uniformity to receive the self-tanner. Focus on elbows, knees, ankles, and feet, as they are usually rougher and tend to accumulate more cream.
- Dry the skin well before spreading the product. Damp parts of the body can cause irregular absorption and, consequently, spots will appear.
- If you prefer, before spreading the self-tanner, apply a moisturizer on the skin, so it is easier to spread.
- Avoid overdoing the elbow and knee regions. Wash your hands immediately after rubbing the skin.
- Wait a few minutes before putting on your clothes.
- If using on the face, use specific products for the face region.
- To maintain a uniform tone use every 3 days.
Body Drench Gradual Tanning Lotion gives a year-round sun-kissed glow while dramatically re-hydrating skin. It contains DHA and moisturizers for a gradual tan that gives skin a golden glow and a smoother, softer feel. Golden tan gradually develops throughout the day. Click here and shop now!
Body Drench Quick Tan 24 Hour Wash Off Tan is a one night only instant tan that easily washes off with soap and water. The easy to apply formula glides on skin for a smooth tan look for 24 hours or until washed off. Click here and shop now!
Tan and beautify skin while you sleep with this lightweight self-tanning gel formulated to tan, moisturize, and smooth skin. The superior formula is infused with ginseng to help improve complexion and antioxidant-rich red hibiscus for radiant skin. Click here and shop now!